The Emerging Young Leaders (EYL) is the 2010-2014 signature program of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated® for middle school girls. EYL will develop the skills and talents of middle school girls in the Greater Fredericksburg area (grades 6th, 7th and 8th) with the potential for becoming leaders within their local communities, as well as in other venues. This signature program will impact participant’s lives’ by providing leadership development, civic engagement, enhanced academic preparation and character building.
The increasing demands of the twenty-first century mandate our youth to be better leaders at a younger age making smart choices with positive consequences. Consisting of four AKAdemies, this initiative is designed to extend the vision of the sorority by cultivating and encouraging high scholastic achievement through:
- Leadership Development
- Educational Enrichment
- Civic Engagement
- Character Building
Each AKAdemy will include several learning opportunities for EYL participants to ultimately achieve the goals of the program.
1) THE OVERALL GOAL of EYL is to impact middle school girls by offering tools to help develop life-long skills in the following areas:
- Community Service
- Financial Literacy
- Environmental Sustainability
- Higher Education
- Non-Traditional Careers for Women
2) THE OJBECTIVE of EYL is to help alleviate problems concerning women and girls as they improve social stature and help maintain a progressive interest in college life as they prepare “to be of service to all mankind.”
3) THE CORE EYL ELEMENTS will be delivered through several AKAdemies: Leadership Development AKAdemy, Educational Enrichment AKAdemy, Civic Engagement AKAdemy and Character Building AKAdemy.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Xi Upsilon Omega is now accepting applications for the 2013-2014 EYL Program. Eligible students are encouraged to return a completed application postmarked no later than April 15, 2013 to:Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Xi Upsilon Omega Chapter Emerging Young Leaders P.O. Box 8363 Fredericksburg, VA 22404
If you have any questions, contact: DeNae Overton or Nichelle Wright at email@example.com.